Dental Fissure Sealants
Fissure sealants are a safe and painless way of protecting adult and kids’s teeth from tooth decay. It is a plastic coating which covers the chewing surfaces of the back adult teeth. The sealant forms a hard shield that keeps food and bacteria from getting into the tiny grooves in the teeth.
Sealants used in conjunction with a comprehensive dental care routine that includes proper brushing, flossing, fluoride treatments and a healthy diet, helps maintain dental health. While brushing and flossing are critical components of any dental health regimen, sealants provide additional protection for the grooves and pits of the teeth. Our dentists recommend this preventative procedure for both adults and kids to keep your smile cavity free for life.
What is a Fissure sealant?
Fissure sealants are the thin coating of white or clear dental materials applied to the fissures or pits of teeth. Most of the fissure sealants are applied to the chewing areas of the molar teeth. These sealants provide good protection from the tooth decay by keeping food and plaque out of the groves. Your dentist will examine your teeth and let you know if you need fissure sealants or not?
How do fissure sealants help in protecting your teeth from decay?
With deep grooves and pits in the teeth, it is sometimes hard to remove the food and plaque from the teeth which can lead to tooth decay. Sealants help prevent the decay by sealing of the fissures and makes it easier to keep your teeth clean with regular brushing. Children’s first permanent molar come through at the age of 6, at this age it is hard for the children to effectively clean the teeth. Sealing these fissures can reduce the risk of tooth decay.
What happens at the dental fissure sealants appointment?
Fissure sealant procedure is quick and painless and usually takes few minutes per tooth. There is no need for anaesthetic and usually requires no drilling.
Your dentist will:
- clean and dry the tooth and surrounding teeth
- prepare the tooth surface so that the sealant bonds well
- flow in liquid sealant, which will flow into the deep grooves and pits
- harden the sealant with a strong light
- check your bite and polish off any excess sealant
Benefits of Fissure Sealants:
- Provide extra protection from decay
- Help protect the permanent or adult 6 year old and 12 year old molars from decay if they are applied soon after the teeth appear in the mouth
- Helps protect the area where its hard to clean with deep groves in back adult teeth
- Make the teeth easier to clean
- Last for many years
How much Fissure Sealants cost?
Fissure sealants cost around $40-60 per tooth.
For more information, please contact us on 38783384 or Book Online now.