One of the most exciting advances in modern dentistry is the great success of the dental implant. Implants can be used when natural teeth and roots are lost due to trauma or decay.
What are Dental Implants?
Dental implants can be thought of as artificial roots that are securely anchored in the jaw. They are cylindrical devices made of medical grade titanium which are placed in the site of a missing tooth or teeth where they biologically bond with the bone and are capped with a ceramic crown that matches existing teeth. Dental implants can also be used to hold a dental bridge or dentures in place. If your missing one or more teeth, dental implants might be an option for you. To make sure dental implants are suitable for you, the dentist will make sure you are not suffering from gum disease, have healthy jawbone and don’t have any medical condition that affect bone healing.
The key to success in implant work is the planning and work up before any work starts. A through oral examination and x-rays including 3-d scans of the implant placement site are done to determine the best implant system and site for placement. more time is spent planning so that the actual procedure is quick and effortless.
When placing implants a hole is made in the bone where your tooth was removed or a gap exists and the implant is inserted. The implant has grooves, channels, or holes like Swiss cheese.
These deliberate design features allow your bone to grow through, in and around the implant, integrating it into your jaw. Quite literally, you grow into it! This piece of the implant acts as a bolt for the second phase of the implant placement. Once this lower bolt part is securely integrated into the bone, the top part is permanently screwed onto the implant. That completes the implant process, and your new “tooth” is now ready for a crown.
What are Dental implants used for?
- Replace a single tooth (or many single teeth using one implant per tooth) with a ceramic crown secured to the top of the implant to give the appearance and function of a natural tooth.
- Secure a full or partial implant supported ceramic fixed bridge.
- Retain removable dentures to prevent movement and dramatically improve the ability
Does insurance covers the cost of Dental Implants?
Dental Implants may be covered if you have extra cover in your dental insurance. This is something you need to check with your insurance provider. We can provide you item numbers for Implants and you can simply contact your dental insurance provider to check your eligibility.
Why get a Dental Implant?
- Lasts longer than denture or dental bridge
- Looks like natural teeth
- Prevents bone loss
- Improves self-confidence and appearance
- No age restrictions (if you tick all boxes for eligibility for an Implant)
- Improves Speech
- Easier eating, You can eat foods of your choice as Implants are sturdier than dentures
Dental Implants are the right option for you if you:
- Have one or more teeth missing
- Are unable to wear dentures
- Have healthy tissue and have fully grown jawbone
- Have adequate healthy bone to secure implants
- Are able to get bone graft in case needed
- Are willing to commit few months to treatment process
- Don’t smoke
How long does Dental Implant placement procedure take?
After your initial comprehensive appointment, implant placement appointment takes 1-2 hours. Your dentist will start on constructing crown after 3-6 months of implant insertion. Time frame in-between, implant insertion and crown placement varies from patient to patient. Your dentist will be able to give you exact time-frame depending on type of procedure and recovery time.
Are Dental Implants safe?
Dental implants are proven to be safe and effective way to replace missing teeth from last 30 years. They have a strong safe foundation. For the majority of patients with good health, Dental Implants are extremely successful when performed by a qualified dental professional.
Are there any risks or side effects?
Like any surgery, Dental implant surgery poses some risks but these risks are minor and easily preventable with through planning before hand and should anything arise they can be treated.
- Infection at the implant site
- Damage or injury to the surrounding teeth or area
- Sinus problems, when implants are placed in upper jaw protrude into one of your sinus cavities
- Nerve damage which can cause numbness or tingling on your natural teeth, lips or gums.
How long do Dental Implants last?
Like all other dental work, your Dental implants can last longer if you:
- Practice proper oral hygiene on regular basis – Just like your natural teeth, you need to keep your implant and surrounding gum tissue clean and healthy. You can use specially designed inter dental brushes that slides in-between teeth and keep area around the teeth clean.
- See your dentist regularly – Your dentist ensures the health and proper functioning of your implants and natural teeth only if you keep your dental check-ups regular. Professional cleaning of your teeth plays an important role in keeping your teeth, implants and gums healthy.
- Avoid damaging habits – Smoking can contribute to implant failure and complications. If you are grinding your teeth, ask your dentist to make you a dental splint. Do not chew on ice or hard candies which can break your crowns and natural teeth.
How much Dental Implants cost?
Dental implant cost depends on several factors: whether you require bone grafting, sinus lift and how many implants to be placed. Typically, Dental Implants cost range from $3999-$5000. Dr Singh will be able to explain costs and time-frame on your first consultation for dental implants.
In experienced hands, dental implant surgery is now a routine and very successful dental procedure and is considered the best way to effectively replace missing teeth.
Dental implants allow patients to regain what they have lost and enjoy improved appearance, function and quality of life. Dental implants provide ‘new teeth’ for people who have lost natural adult teeth.
The Dentists at Heritage Dental Group with highly trained support staff deliver the very best in dental implants and crown procedures.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us on 38783384 or Book Online.